Well, clutching anyway and this time literally time to get to grips with the new all singing and dancing lever
from Mister Moose. Now as a dedicated NON clutch user this is going to be DIFFICULT. Yes, the new lever
does make the pull softer and after a little practice I can see some advantages to it if I can remember to get
my fingers on it in a timely manner. I’m guessing the way to go is to ride with the digit permanently glued to
it which seems somewhat alien at this stage.

The new Moose unit with the monster adjuster

Today’s mission was to change the cover to something that would fit the entire unit and this was achieved
using an old lever cover by Arriette which covers the monster adjuster …. well that turned out well in my
opinion and then it was off the stand, set the tire pressure and have a gentle toodle outside. So far, as I’m
a two finger braker I’m trying to get some finesse using two digits on this contraption and trying to get a
smooth feel as I go through “the friction zone”. Biggest fear is that I’ll start using it when its not required and
get in all sorts of muddles I would normally avoid.

Yesterday’s attempt but needed something to cover that adjuster ?

That will do nicely !

There are plenty of choices it would seem for these levers with various adaptations but I haven’t seen any
side by side comparisons to determine which works best.

Cheaper version of the Moose

This one looks more expensive

A Moose version as fitted to my Cub

Of course there are a multitude of other actions that will improve clutch action including  a new cable with
a smooth run and the clutch itself although I can’t see any benefits to removing springs as some would

Any pulling mechanism will be improved with lengthening the clutch arm. All a matter of fulcrum and the old
leverage principles. The following diagram shows the idea and could be tried using a few nuts and bolts with
no cutting or welding.

I have a few old clutch arms so I’ll give this idea a try and extend the arm by about 1.5″ and then using the
cable hole stop on the engine bolt an extender there to keep the line of pull smooth. Just need to remove the
bash plate and the rest should be pretty easy.

Fabrication Friday and with the aid of an old engine case two clutch arms are converted to one and cable
mount gets an extension. On first look it seems like it should work so now time to swap it over to the SG
motor. Drop the bash plate, remove flywheel cover and shifter and complete the exchange.

First look at the MK1 clutch mod

If it works as planned I’ll remove the nut and bolt and have it welded

As we move into November the weather has changed dramatically this week with overnights down to -7C
or 19F in old money. Not exactly workshop temps for geriatric engineers so I’ll wait until we get the other
side of freezing. Yes, we had our first taste of snow this week as well and more to come at the beginning
of next week. The wood pile portfolio is nearly back up to its Wall Street high, just 3 more loads to acquire
before Thanksgiving and we will be set for winter.

A head start in the Shade Garden with all the cushions in storage

The 2013 wood gathering with one more load required

Currently burning the nice dry 2012 aspen reserve

 Sunday November 3rd and with the clocks back “today” has been officially designated “Gazebo Day” and
will mark a significant first as it will be dismantled and put away until spring and save me going through all
the bending exercises of the past to remedy the damage of falling snow and ice.

Gazebo removed

Yesterday it was time to venture back to the NEW Hollywood Bar for the winter series of pool competitions
and after losing the first frame, although I was first to the black, I did manage to fight my way all the way
back up the losers side to end up in the final and even won the first of the two frames. Second frame not so
good and once John got to the table he cleaned up for the overall win but it was close! A bit like trials, so
pretty pleased with a second place and I’m now qualified for the big one at the beginning of January.

Back to the clutch thingey now the Gazebo has been put into hibernation and avoid the ravages of falling
snow and ice that killed the last one! Side plate, shifter and bashplate removed and ready to change the old
clutch arm for the lengthened model.

Ready for the clutchadectomy

New system fitted and all looks good and yes, it truly is NOW a one finger unit! Don’t know whether I’ll use
it but at least I’m on a level playing field with everybody else.

Surgery complete

Well it works, it is a one finger job now but will require a fair bit of practice to fine tune the operator handling
as the old dog isn’t into new tricks.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *